Crisis situations—from community protests to accidental deaths to financial upheaval—threaten an organization’s reputation, operational flexibility and financial stability. At no other time is strategic communication more vital to the organization’s viability and survival.
Handling a crisis appropriately can enhance an organization’s reputation and goodwill. The mishandling of a crisis often causes a company to become a victim twice. Even if your organization has prepared for emergency situations, crises can be very difficult to manage.
Ballard Consulting has the ability to weave communications plans into an organization’s crisis strategy and to implement them successfully. Below are a few local, regional and national situations with which clients have asked us to assist them:
- Surgeon – National tabloid television program uses hidden camera and threats to obtain interview with surgeon who had a patient die following surgery.
- Research Facility – Gunman enters facility and kills several customers before being shot by police.
- Utility – Media identifies possible illegal practices threatening environmental safety of nearby residents and businesses.
- Apartment Management Company – National tabloid television program uses convicted felon, false identification and hidden camera to illustrate security problems and ease of gaining access to resident’s apartment.
- Entertainment Complex – Tenant allows illicit activities to take place on property causing arrests and criminal charges.
- Shopping Center – Tenant schedules appearance by controversial performer, Marilyn Manson, threatening customer safety, customer outrage and potential riot.
- Financial Institution – Local institution suffers multi-million dollar electronic fraud when ATM dealer illegally diverts funds.